Tuesday, April 6, 2010

soap box

Let me start out this post by saying – I am not a parent. I have never given birth, adopted or been pregnant. I have opinions and anyone that knows me – knows that the opinions I have are strong. Strong like a runner’s legs who wins the Olympics.  I think one of the best parts about having a blog – is that I can express how I feel and it’s my blog – so if you don’t like it – don’t read it.  And – this is not all children or all parents– just seems to be way too many of them.

Some people need to get the reins on their children. BIG TIME. Most parents need to get a clue, step back and literally smell the roses.

I had this conversation with my husband the other night - parents need to raise their children. Period. The teacher at school is not going to do it, grandparents cannot do it, and the 13-year-old babysitter sure as hell isn’t the solution.  The Internet can be an amazing thing and it can also ruin your child’s life.  WHY oh GOD why – do people allow their child to sign up for Facebook? They are just asking for it! In no way find myself to be remotely tech savvy – but within five minutes of your child signing up for facebook – a predator can know where they live, what school they go to, and what they look like – where they are going to be that night - are you freakin’ kidding me? Facebook started for people who were in college – it was awesome for me – Adam was in graduate school, our friends were graduating, moving all over the country, and studying in foreign lands – we got to see what everyone was doing – and keep in touch… who the hell do 10 year old kids need to keep in touch with?  If they met someone at summer camp, teach them how to send a letter – I’m sure the kid on the receiving end is going to keep it a lot longer than he is going to keep the “say something” you put on his facebook page. If you “don’t have the time” (that’s another day) then get them an email address that you have control over. Or – how about allowing them to use the “house phone.” I remember Will Smith saying once when talking about raising his kids and his oldest son saying that he didn’t want to clean “his room” Will Smith replied, “it’s not your room, it’s our room, we are just letting your borrow it.” That’s good parenting.

Imagine if your child was taken from you – raped, strangled, killed, or – suffered and lived through all of that hell – all because you thought they should “fit in” with everyone else – take control of your kids – before someone else does.

Maybe I feel so strongly about this because of the struggles and year and years of trying to get two lines on a pee test – kids are just looking for love and safety in their lives – take time and at least give them that.

2 comments:

  1. Well put. Your last line is quote worthy. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am right there with you... seriously - I don't understand these parents who let their children run wild (aka signing up for facebook...) not happening around here. Some people think I am overly strict but guess what? Better that then letting my children turn into little hooligans right?

    ReplyDelete