Monday, April 18, 2011

Day 7 - My most prized possession

So the obvious for some would be your wedding ring. I love mine. No doubt. This ring, however - does it for me on prized possession.

Here's the story.

Look closely. See the tiny little yellow gold band in between the two white gold w/ scattered diamonds. That was my grandmothers (my mom's side) original wedding band. My grandparents had 12 children. My grandmother was a saint. So saint like that she died on 9/11/2005 and on her death certificate the time of death is one of these three times - 8:46, 9:03, 9:59. not kidding. (i cant remember anymore which one it is).

When my grandmother died - I was cleaning out my grandfathers dresser drawers (he had died a few years before) and I found an old jewelery box with nothing inside - but when i went to close it - i heard something. Under some torn material I found a boyscout pin that said "be prepared" & this ring. It was in the shape of an oval. My grandmother wore it until it about fell off. I asked my mom if I could have it and she said yes.

Adam's uncle is a jeweler (a very good one i might add) and I thought long and hard about what I wanted to do with it - I came up with this idea.



Now - if you look closely at the inside - you'll see little round circles. There are four of them. Two on the top inside, two on the bottom inside. Two emeralds, one garnet & one peridox. They are the birthstones of my four grandparents & a constant reminder of where I came from.

I love to wear this ring - sometimes when I just want a ring & not a diamond on my wedding ring finger, sometimes when I feel like I need an extra marriage boost from my grandmother (she did make it all with one man - and 12 kids - bless her heart) and sometimes when I'm just missing my grandparents. I still have one grandmother left - and I'm so happy that she got to see it.

This ring makes me happy. Always.

No comments:

Post a Comment