Sunday, May 9, 2010

my mothers day

i'm not one to usually sleep in. i like to get up and get my day started. sometimes getting my day started on the weekend means coming right to the couch and wasting way too much time on facebook, making an extra cup of coffee and watching some dvr crap that has been loading up on my to do list.

today - the phone rang at 9am! 9 - seriously - i don't sleep that late! - i was still in bed. it was my dad calling - saying that my mom, my grandma (his mom) and my dad were thinking about making a trip up to see us - they live about 1 1/2 hours away from us - i can make the trip in 1:10 - my dad takes the back roads. i thought it sounded like a fantastic idea - my dad and grandma haven't been up since the weekend we moved into our house (9 months ago) so i was excited for them to come and see it.

my mom called a little later. she said they stopped in kiel. that's where my grandma grew up for part of her life. she wanted to stop at the cemetery where her mom, dad and grandmother are buried. that made me cry. she's on my top ten list of hero's - i grew up through the woods and over the river to grandmothers house we go - literally - my grandfather built, yes built, a bridge for us to walk over to get to their house. she was born in 1929 - the year the world went to hell. when she was 7 her father fell over dead on top of her - as she was showing him her school work. he was the ripe old age of 33. when she was 16 - her mother died. breast cancer - it was literally eating her alive for years and years. she married my grandfather when she was 18. she had my dad when she was 19. my dad's an only child. she had 7 miscarriages some into the sixth month of pregnancy in the years following the birth of my dad. seven. she has been an amazing source of strength for me during our infertility bull crap. she stayed married to my amazing grandfather and cared for him in their home so he could have his dying wish of dying at home. she tended to his every need. he had a brain tumor - my love for him is a whole different post all together. to say that my grandmother has seen hard times, been through hard times and survived hard times - is an understatement.

today - as my mom (who is also my hero, and also another post) told me that they stopped to visit the cemetery and were running a little behind it was a reminder again - that no matter how old or young we are - if we had a good mom - a great mom - an ok mom - or an amazing mom - we need them for the rest of our lives. i just feel so spoiled rotten that the two most important women in my life came to see me today :)

4 comments:

  1. I am so happy that you had a wonderful day...
    To say that your Grandma is an inspiration is an insane understatement!! Wow... absolutely amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just recently lost my grandma and your post was so moving to read. It's amazing how we, as women, can find stregth deep within - it really does run in our blood. I am so glad you had a good day :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some of my favorite memories are summers in the woods at Aunt Gail and Uncle Rogers'...glad you got to spend Mother's Day with two wonderful ladies (and your daddy, too!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So true - We always need our Mom. You bring me to tears, my friend.

    ReplyDelete