Sunday, March 21, 2010

friendships

i love my friends. i think amazing friends make for an amazing life. making friends is like making a cake out of a box for me. it's easy - easy bake oven easy - but having a friendship that goes to a totally different level of a relationship - takes time, effort, work and sometimes with a hubby, family and well just life taking over - you find that in your life - that some friendships just aren't worth it. when adam and i moved to indiana - my besties from back home supported me, loved me, and encouraged me when adam was knee deep in spreadsheet modeling with the one and only wayne winston - and during his studies - while he was beginning to speak a different MBA language - the partners club pretty much saved my life - and it was during that time that i met some of the most amazing women in my life. after school was done, we moved to texas - a WHOLE different ball game than the midwest - and i started working for the craziest doctor in the world - diagnosed with OCD, worked in the house, couldn't drink anything but water with a closed cap in our office, couldn't wear shoes in our office, had our reviews in her bedroom - i mean the list could go on - and it was during that time that i worked with a girl who would help shape me into the person that i am today - she was 22 years old, i was 28, she was 5'10 and had a rockin' body - and she just LOVED life - she was carefree, had no fear, went with the flow, didn't mind if she didn't shower for a few days, and loved like no other. those of you that know me -that is not me - i am far from carefree - have a million fears, feel all sorts of out of sorts when things don't go as planned and i take two showers a day, everyday. in the crazy world of that insane doctors office - we laughed and laughed and sang silly songs, did crazy jokes on eachother and had the other person to depend on when life got really out of control at the office - we both were in school and before we knew it - my husband and her then boyfriend developed a bromance - hard core. and the two little kids from the midwest had friends from the south that we loved. during that time - they got engaged - and then she asked me to be in her wedding which was such an honor! we went to Port Akansas (that's what i called it) and I was so afraid to get in the ocean - and step by step she walked me through until i was in swimming and having a blast - that's the kind of effect alicia has on you - if she's by your side - you think you can do anything - you really do - and a little more often, i'd go with the flow and maybe somedays - i'd only take one shower. i learned to let go - because with letting go - comes amazing things that you can let in. alicia is one of the greatest people that i know - and now she and her hubby are expecting their first bundle of joy and just the thought of a little one coming into this world with her as a mom - brings me so much promise into how wonderful this world will be with a little finch running around. 


this weekend i turned 31. alicia came for four days to see me - it was amazing - i cried my eyes out when she left. she chewed peanuts in my ear to drive me crazy, didn't organize the sudoku piece the way i wanted them, wore flip flops on our "exercise walk" and ripped pages out of my sodoku puzzle that was neatly organized page by page. she sang songs to me, got me slinky wiener dogs, decorated my birthday cake and she again left me feeling like i'm ready for more good to come my way. 


friendships are amazing - and my friendship with alicia is one i will never take for granted - i love her SO much!!  when you move away and friends come to visit - it's the best feeling! this is just another reason why - i'm the lucky one.  







2 comments:

  1. what a beautiful post ... here's to great friendships. you my friend are also amazing.... glad to know you and to have you as my friend

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow...I read this at work, while the kiddos were at P.E. and bawled my eyes out...I love you so much and wouldn't want to do life without you!! You are one of the very best things in my life, and I will always do whatever it takes to keep our friendship strong!! (Even if that means coming back to Farve nation a HUNDRED more times to see your pretty face!!!) Go Cowboys!! And...I am sorry for ripping out your Sodoku pages...I didn't know people set up strategic systems for solving each page in a certain order.:) I love you like the sushi loves the soy...like the tires love the asphault...like the string loves the bean. peace and hairgrease,
    -A

    ReplyDelete